Friday, November 4, 2011

It's Chili Weather (White)

For fun I made white chili to share with some friends. Of course, as usual, it was requested that I pass on the recipe. The best recipes are those that are passed around and this is one that I got from my sister-in-law, who received it from a friend. So friend to friend I'll pass it on again.

White Chicken Chili
Ingredients and Directions
  • 1 lb. Chicken cooked and shredded
  • 1 Onion chopped - I often times leave this out just because
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
Brown the above ingredients in 1 tablespoon of oil until onion is tender then add:
  • 14 oz can of Chicken Broth - I like the low-sodium version
  • 1 can Chopped Green Chilies - This is where you choose your heat
  • 2 15 oz cans Great Northern Beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
*If you'd like to freeze the recipe, do that now. Sometimes I will prepare it to this point the night before or earlier in the week and then warm it up and finish it up in a hurry.*
Bring this to a boil then cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off heat.

Before you serve add:
  • 1 cup Sour Cream
  • 1/2 cup Whipping Cream (I've never tried it before but I imagine you could substitute half and half.)
Voila! Adding the creams does cool the recipe a little so depending on your time and your family members you may want to return it to a low heat to warm through again.

No comments: