Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thanksgiving Treat

As you may know I was in charge of Thanksgiving dessert. I did make the Pumpkin Icebox Pie as previously noted. I love how easy and delicious it is. It made Thanksgiving Day a bit easier for me. My second gift to the family (we all know it was really a gift to myself) was Emeril's Apple and Cranberry Crisp. Mmmm...I think I may wish myself this gift again for Christmas.

I really enjoyed how the apples were sweet and the cranberries were tart. The orange zest and juice offers a delicious fragrance. I also love the mix of textures of the dish. Texture is one thing that can turn me away from a food so I feel it's important. And what girl would turn down a pink dessert? Not this one and not her niece.

I suggest you give it a try while cranberries are on sale.

Emeril's Apple and Cranberry Crisp
Ingredients
  • Unsalted butter, for baking dish
  • 2 1/2 - 3 pounds sweet, firm apples, such as Gala or Braeburn, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 12 ounces cranberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
Crisp Topping
  • 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2/3 cup all purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 2/3 cup rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions
For crisp topping:
  1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Using an electric mixer, beat on low until coarse crumbs form. (I found that a pastry blender worked a lot better with the cold butter.)
For fruit:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, vanilla, and orange zest and juice. Transfer to baking dish and sprinkle with topping.
  3. Bake until topping is browned and juices are thick and bubbling around edges, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
We topped it with real whipped cream but it would be fantastic with some cinnamon ice cream. Fa la la la la...

No comments: